6/05/2003 12:43:00 p.m.
Well this will be brief.
We sucked the kumara something chronic in that game – for some perverse reason we were all pretty flat and I hope that it wasn’t complacency from the number of wins we have had in the last few weeks. I know we’re good but, let’s put up some resistance!!!
- Bad Luck award to Damo – I don’t think he managed a run out all game whereas it’s normally a given.
- Unlucky Break award to Chan – that finger looked nasty after the game, the 45 degree angle of the little finger did not look good, but big ups for breaking it and then bowling in the next over. And a lovely 7 after all was said and broken.
- The “I can’t believe it’s not Butter” award goes to Simon – getting bowled twice on consecutive balls by a chick.
- The “I forgot Simon is not an Olympic sprinter” award to myself – for calling Simon through after passing him… a stupid call and Rach gave me a bit of grief after the game – sorry Si.
- The “Thanks for the hat trick” award to Steve and Callum – on the stats it’s got me as bowled people twice – not true. It was a bowled, followed by Callum’s run out, followed by a Stumping by Steve. Cheers guys.
- Nice seven to Callum when batting as well, and again good fielding at the back.
- Gatch and Greg – I can’t remember too much from the game bar the “SUCKER!” runout by Gregor, and Gatch not conceding as many extras as in the past with his bowling – improvement is always good.
So they conceded 34 extras of our total of 53, which says something about the batting – not too many positives to be drawn from that – but we had our backs to the wall expecting over 1 per ball from the word go.
We conceded far too many extras as well which doesn’t help our own cause. And not getting as many wickets as normal (only 10 in the entire match) didn’t help the cause much either.
Anyway, onwards and upwards chaps. I think we can all take something away from the game in terms of what we need to correct – any game where I manage the MVP can not be too good!!!
So personal targets this week should be at least 2 wickets for each of the overs bowled (averaged across the board for those of us – ME – who fluke wickets!) and 1 extra each (we can average that out as well to those who have issues mistaking the hoop for the wickets…). Batting wise – try not to run your partner out and Yell at each other on the calling…
Your nutritional requirements for this week are to have a couple of cups of coffee before the game – just to get pepped up a bit!!!
Let’s rock and roll…
6/05/2003 1:16:00 p.m.
I think the main thing to take out of this is the debilitating effect not getting out has on the opposition. They batted sensibly, chipping away and barely ever getting out.
They had only five backnets in their innings - it was built on nudging, pushing around and not getting out. Not only does it make for a good total, it takes the wind out of the opposition's sails in terms of morale. So lets take a leaf out of their book and apply that pressure to our opponents.
The challenging part is responding to those tactics in future - so as to ensure we're not chasing such large totals. If the batsmen doesn't look to be driving or looking for the backnet, feel free to bowl very straight as such delivieries are harder to turn into a side net for 2. Would probably pay to bowl those at either a yorker length or bouncing to waist/chest height to make it difficult to send it to the backnet. However, the fundamental response needed is to capitalise on every chance given, be it run outs or catches. Last week it seemed we couldn't hit the stumps or hold a catch - which is quite uncharacteristic and as such I doubt it will be repeated.
They may have gifted us 34 extras, but we were still swinging at wide deliveries which is not the best tactic - especially the leg-side wides. There's not a lot to be gained out of hitting a ball that would have been wide for two runs. No balls are a different story.
Good calls from Bart (wtf?) regarding targets for bowlers, as every player needs to be mindful of their extras.
8/05/2003 2:29:42 p.m.
Am I the first? Hello? It's very quiet in here.
Ahh well I guess we all know last week's game sucked worse than a two-dollar whore.
8/05/2003 3:22:24 p.m.
OK OK. So now i look like a twat.